The Sci-fi Fantasy Reader's Review

My Comments on Science Fiction / Fantasy Books and other related media.

Monday, February 28, 2011

Sholan Series

I started rereading Lisanne Norman's Sholan World Series and I am just as interested as when I first bought the book many years ago.  She definitely had readers envisioning the Sholan home world and you forget that one of the main characters in feline in appearance. 
When I first read the book the main character, Carrie Hamilton, was annoying.  I realize now that it is Norman's great depiction of a immature woman who was raised in an agrarian society where woman are important to proliferate the world of Keiss by getting married and bearing children. 
Lisanne Norman reminds me of Robert Jordan where there are many characters and subplots.  Unlike him, Norman keeps the main characters in every book.  The series flows through the trials and tribulations of Carrie and Kusac (the Sholan character).
If you haven't read this series before pick up a used copy and read "Turning Point", the first book in the series. Kusac is part of a military on a scouting mission, he is telepathic. The scouting ship is shot upon by the Valtegans who have commandered the planet from the colonist and turned it into a R and R planet for their troops. Kusac is left when he sustained an injury and through his telepathy finds Carrie who is close to dying because her telepathic link to her sister is cut, sister is killed.

I know a very involved plot.  Norman weaves this plot for 8 books. All have an extensive plot and sub-plots to them.  If I peak your interest, pick up a copy and have fun reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment